Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Art Film Experience

wow... thats all.... but seriously. This movie was jacked up. It was obviously a kind of montage thing about family's and how despite the rapidly changing times there lies similar problems and they have to deal with it in similar ways. The hardships are also the same. The only way that I could really make out what time I was in was by the use of different filters, which was ultimately a successful device in conveying that information.

UPDATE:
So I just went to IMDB.com to try and shed light on what exactly was happening in that film. The plot synopsis was as follows:
"The director mixes flashbacks, historical footage and original poetry to illustrate the reminiscences of a dying man about his childhood during World War II, adolescence, and a painful divorce in his family. The story interweaves reflections about Russian history and society."

Once I read that it hit me that all of the strange imagery was to show the confused mind of a dying man, and the title was to imply that he is reflecting in his final hours. I'm kinda wondering that if I were to watch the film again with this synopsis in mind if I would pick on some of the more subtle things that the director placed in the film. I still think however that a lot of the film was an experiment, and could draw some similarities to "The Man With the Movie Camera." Maybe when I have some time I'll go download it and give it another watch.

2 comments:

ishamorama said...

I agree that the second time you watch the film, it really does help to have the synopsis and the fact that two of the actors are playing double roles (mother and wife, narrator and Ignat).

But I really think it's better to watch the film the first time without having been clued into that. I think it forces you to try and understand a cinematic language that is altogether divorced from "logical meaning" or "symbolic references." What do you think?

And can you see what I mean that this film is very much like a moving painting? It really is the type of thing one needs to revisit again and again through life if one is to truly begin to appreciate and receive the artistic message Tarkovsky is trying to convey.

aharden said...

That is an interestin synopsis that IMBD stated. I also wish I could have known that before watching the film. It definatley helps piece together some of the images that were shown. On a side note: I found it intersting how even thought the film is called Mirror, many of the images appeared to have an earthly focus, such as the power and presence of wind, water and fire.