Monday, January 7, 2008

Day 3

Well I'm not gonna lie, coming off of the other movie into today was pretty hard. From the semi modern "Irony of Fate or Enjoy Your Bath!" to the montage-esque series of short films from the turn of century was rather grueling. You have to guess emotions and assume story lines, but I guess I can see how that would not be a problem in that time period. Nowadays story lines and character development is so straight forward there is little left to assume or look into (unless its at sun dance or it's a Spike Lee joint.) Oh well, regardless of my initial frustration, by the time we watched the first example of early movies I could understand what Gorky was saying, the colorless soundless picture was actually very eerie. Maybe this will grow on me, I sure hope it will.

1 comment:

ishamorama said...

Note that montage is a specific editing technique that we don't find in the Bauer films because it hadn't been created yet. In tomorrow's film we'll see our first examples of montage. And judging from what you say here, I think you are going to prefer Soviet silents (which are full of montage) rather than the pre-Revolutionary ones.