Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Vera

I'm not sure I liked this movie. It was all very confusing, in fact, it stressed me out a little. I wanted things to work out in her life so bad, but it just seemed like they were all just too caught up in themselves. It wasn't just the family either, it seemed that every one in the film was lost in their own way, which I believe was to show the general feelings of the country at the time. It seemed that in just a few years the whole moral of the country, it's citizens, and it's leaders all came to this extreme discomfort in a very short time.

One thing that I found quite shocking was the change in morals. The other films that we had watched seemed to show drinking as a social and casual affair, never in extremes, and never leading to addiction. Also it seemed that up until now sex was reserved to the married and love was very much a large part of the community. That was made evident in the things the mother said. I remember at one point she said to Vera that back in her day when people wanted to get married there were many years of courting before the engagement and never any sex, but now Vera just says she would marry this man and sleeps with him.

The alcoholism was another stark contrast from the other films also. Up until now drinking was taken lightly and it seemed that any sort of substance abuse was sort of taboo. But now in this film we were taken to the darker side of drinking. It wasn't just the family either, it seemed that every one in the film was in some state of non sobriety, and this was completely acceptable. Even with the pills, and how doctors seemed to think that they are just the magic bullet that can save you from any aliment.

Really watching this family destroy it's self mad me think of one of those Lifetime original movies. It was all very tragic and you couldn't help but feel like they all wanted to die, but just couldn't do it. It was sad, and deeply uncomfortable. I really wanted to enjoy this film, but I can't say that I did. It was not a bad film however, not in any way, it was just a bit too much. It really just felt as though they were all going to destroy themselves, and so long as they didn't say that was going to happen, it would be easier. I haven't see any thing this dark in a long time.

No comments: