Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kiddnapping the Caucasians

So when I first heard the title of this film I thought it was talking about how white people kidnap. Then I realized that Caucasian refers to the people of the caucus mountains. The overall theme of the film did illustrate however how broken the soviet union actually was. The fact that there was a writer that was traveling to different parts of his own country to learn about the customs of its citizens was strange to me. I can't really think of any situations where that could happen here in the US. There did seem to be an underlying message that women should be strong, smart, in shape, and party members.

All in all though it was an entertaining movie. It had a very Mr. Bean, and Monty Python type feel to it. I thought that was maybe something that kept me entertained. Also the short time of the film seemed appropriate being that I think if the film were longer it would have become dull. I want to see more modern Russian comedies now.

1 comment:

vklimowicz said...

This also reminded me of British humor much like Monty Python / Mr. Bean. I was able to pay attention and remain quite amused, even though the plot was simple. If it were any longer, what more jokes and tricks could they pull- the humor would have gotten dull.

It would be cool to see modern Russian comedies- I wonder what similarities there would be in comparison to what were used to- like do they have a Dave Chappelle?