Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Komissar

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't like this movie all that much. I will give it credit where credit is due however. The more artistic parts were interesting, and I thought were shot quite well. They provided a contrast to the more traditional shots of the film and kept me interested. The other thing that I thought was good was the story's perspective. I think that it still took place from the point of view from a soldier, but a pregnant one gave the film the ability to show both the strength and power of the soldier, and the humanity of her. This was also aided by the fact the basic role of Vavilova changed through out the film. She came to the family as a battle hardened, and calloused soldier, but as the life with the family continued and she gave birth she became soft. This was kinda shown ridiculously obvious however by not only basic character development, but by her changing wardrobe also. I did enjoy the flashback during the birth. They provided a good look at her background and helped explain why she was the way she was.

The fact that it took place in a predominantly Jewish town also set a strange tone for the movie. I felt that it felt detached from the rest of the country, and those citizens were just innocent bystanders of a war that was not something that they necessarily cared about. This was all highlighted at the end by how the family just dances during the bombing, and how at the end Vavilova went upstairs to get changed and go fight.

No comments: