Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ivan the terrible pt. 1

So in all honesty I have a pretty killer sinus infection or something, and I took some drowsy type meds for class. So I was kinda spacey through most of it. But I did pick up on some really interesting techniques that Einsentien is using that he wasn't using before. The first one is the way he was having his actors move. Their posture reflected what the actor was trying to do in that scene. If said actor was trying to undermine Ivan they would have lower posture with shoulders inward and a curved back. The other thing I took note of where the use of shadows to convey the actors "size" in a given situation, or to assert their dominance in the scene. And the final thing that was peculiar to me was that Ivan's beard grew with his power as well as reflecting on how he was becoming hard and calloused by being the Tsar.

1 comment:

imladris82 said...

I think you were the one who like "No Country for Old Men". If it was you, did you notice how all of the boyars had haircuts that oddly resembled the haircut of Javier Bardem in No Country.