Monday, January 21, 2008

Moskva slezam ne verit

So to start things off I just want to say how surprised I was that this movie was 150 min long. Originally I was expecting another relatively short movie similar to the ones that we had been watching. Despite the epic length of this film I did find it amusing. The over all theme of the film left me with a very strange feeling, very unlike the other films. I did notice some trends between this film and the other ones.

The first thing that I took notice of is that most of the love stories seem very clandestined and have little hope in actualizing its self. Most of the young people seem to be searching for love, and marriage. The other thing that I noticed is that a lot of those similar movies seem to have the same song in them. In fact I had the tune that played during the end of the film stuck in my head all day. The songs actually sound a lot like David Bazan, Pedro the Lion, Kings of Convenience, and other bands of the like.

One thing that I noticed that seemed generally contradictory to the soviet idealism in this film was it's not so subtle, subtle views on women and their place in the institution of marriage. A lot of the propaganda that I've seen seem to show women and promote them as strong and willing to work towards a powerful state. Yet despite this propaganda all the views on marriage seem to think that a woman should not be more powerful and wealthy than a man and is therefore subordinate to the man. I dunno, just seemed backwards to me.

No comments: